Thursday, June 7, 2012

Gotta Love Greens!

As promised more recipes for greens! Pick up all of the ingredients at market today so you can try them out at home this week.


Our first recipe - Kale Slaw with Peanut Dressing from Martha Stewart - just click on the link to go directly to the recipe at Martha's website. I made this for dinner last night and it was a huge hit, adults and kids alike. I had to make one change - one of my diners was allergic to carrots - I used raw julienned beets in place of the carrots - it was a tasty and beautiful substitution. The kale was from EGFM, of course, as well as the beets - I added the beet greens to my kale salad as well!
Kale Slaw with Peanut Dressing
This next recipe has become a favorite in my household - Pesto - made with mustard greens, not a smitch of basil - I actually prefer this to the standard basil version. Mustard greens are bright green, and have a distinct mustard-y flavor, a bit spicy.
You can use this pesto just as you would a pesto made from basil. Its one of my most requested recipes! This is a recipe for Mustard Greens Pesto on Pasta with Shiitake Mushrooms from Bon Appetite - I think you'll love it! Dwain at Livengood Farms had beautiful mustard greens last week.

And finally, this recipe is perfect for a quick Friday night dinner with friends - quick and easy, but impressive - Sausage and Clams with Greens and Chickpeas from Cooking Light Magazine. Pick up some delicious turkey sausage from Axel - EGFM's turkey man at Lindenhof Farm!  

Next week - this guy:
Alien monster or vegetable??? Its kohlrabi, and its yummy. Follow the blog for some great recipes featuring this odd looking fellow!

No comments:

Post a Comment