Saturday, October 13, 2012

Gobble, Gobble

This past week at market I purchased a turkey breast from Lindenhof Farm
You know the guy, Axel, with the goofy name tags!
He has a history of equally goofy hats -
Why? He's turkey crazy!
And with Thanksgiving right around the corner I get a little turkey crazy too.
This recipe is for a turkey breast -
and, you make it in a slow cooker - AKA - crock pot.
I improvised - instead of the suggested seasonings I used:
1 tsp. fennel seed, 2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary, 1 clove of garlic,
and salt and pepper.
Remove the skin from the turkey - it will not brown in the slow cooker.
and rub well with olive oil and the seasonings.
 Cook according to the recipe. 
This was the first time I used a slow cooker to cook a turkey breast. 
It was flavorful and really moist - 
but I do admit, I missed the crisp skin you get when you roast it in an oven.

I accompanied my turkey with a delicious apple dressing.
Apple Dressing
2 Tbsp butter
1 shallot, chopped
2 Tbsp chopped hot pepper
2 empire apples (from Frecon of course)
1/4 cup dried currants
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
2 Tbsp honey

- Melt the butter in a sauce pan; add the shallots and peppers;
- Saute until shallots are translucent.
- Add the apples, currents and rosemary and saute until tender.
Add the honey, season with salt and pepper.

As a side dish I served this beautiful Wild Rice with Butternut Squash, Leeks and Corn
This would work well as a vegetarian main dish as well.
You can get everything you need at the EGFM except the wild rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment